National Hotel Association Elects New Leadership
Malaysian Association of Hotels (MAH) Appoints New President & Board For 2022 – 2025
One World Hotel, Selangor (27 May 2022) – Malaysian Association of Hotels (MAH), recently held its 48th Annual General Meeting at One World Hotel and had elected a new Board of Directors to join the thirteen Chapter Chairpersons of the states. The newly elected Board will lead the Association and the Hotel Industry for the next three years.
Christina Toh, the Area General Manager based at Dorsett Grand Subang, Selangor and previously serving as the Honorary Secretary General for MAH, was inaugurated as its newly elected President given firm support from the Board. She also made history as MAH first ever lady President of the association marking a new chapter for MAH leadership. Christina is a hotelier that needs little introduction to those in the hospitality industry; having served in it for the past 30 years, she is well known for being a strategic leader with a crisp management and dynamic leadership style.
“Having served the Association from Chapter level in Kuala Lumpur to the National Board as the Vice President and currently as Honorary Secretary General in the last 20 years, it is necessary to understand, carry on and innovate to uplift the Association’s Vision and Mission. To work with MOTAC, MATTA, ASEANTA and other related bodies to promote member hotels to leisure, business and MICE travellers. Continuously update and share new technology and management techniques to stay abreast with the fast and changing innovation and technological advancement of the hospitality industry”, Christina said.
Christina has taken up the torch of presidency from Dato’ N. Subramaniam who is now taking a role as Immediate Past President; she is joined by three Vice Presidents, namely Lim Choong Sean (CS Lim) of Legoland Hotel, Khoo Boo Lim of Macalister Terraces and Shirley Lai Swee Fong from Sfera Residence Kuala Lumpur City Centre. Dato’ Megat Shahrul Azman Abas, Merdeka Palace Hotel & Suites was elected as the Honorary Secretary General while Ong Mooi Kee (Maggie), from MH Hotel Ipoh is now the Honorary Treasurer General of MAH.
The state Chapter Chairpersons are:-
· Kedah & Perlis - Eugene Dass, StarCity Hotel Alor Setar
· Penang – Tony Goh, St. Giles Wembley Premier Hotel
· Perak - Vincent Ee, Flemington Hotel
· Selangor - Datin Jasmine Heng Abdullah, Dorsett Grand Subang
· Kuala Lumpur - B.E. Lim, The Gardens – a St Giles Signature Hotel & Residences
· Negeri Sembilan - Haziz Hassan, Sutera Hotel
· Melaka - Mr. Khairulnizam Kassim, Kings Hotel
· Johor - Ivan Teo, Tanjong Puteri Golf Resort
· Pahang - Patrick Tee, Copthorne Hotel Cameron Highlands
· Terengganu - Suaibah Harun, Primula Beach Hotel
· Kelantan - Hajjah Maimun Mohd Hussain, Sudara Beach Resort
· Sarawak - John Teo, Meritz Hotel Miri
· Sabah & Labuan - Hafizan Wong, Promenade Hotel Kota Kinabalu
The new Board pledges their commitment in leading the hotel industry towards recovery and ensuring Malaysia is recognised as a safe travel hub worldwide. The board is also set to address the concerns that have been plaguing the industry such as the new minimum wage hike that was recently implemented by the government and the severe labour shortage issue that continues to hinder the ability of hotel proprietors to scale their services with the increasing demands.